Saturday, August 15, 2009

Winning the Battle at Your own Court 战胜于朝廷

During the Western Zhou Dynasty, power became decentralized from the King to the feudal lords, also known as dukes of a state. Strident annexations, battles and assimilations between states were typical during this period. Here is a story from ‘Strategies if Warring States’ on how a good official in Qi state influenced his duke to implement virtuous rule.
Zhou Ji of Qi state was more than eight feet tall and he looked handsome. One morning, after putting on his clothes, he looked into the mirror and asked his wife, ‘Do you find Xu of the northern part of the city or me more handsome?’ His wife replied, ‘My dear husband, you are more handsome. How can Xu compare to my husband?’ Xu of the northern part of the city was famous for his good looks in Qi. Ji did not have self-confidence, and again asked his concubine, ‘Do you find Xu or me more handsome?’ The concubine answered, ‘How can Xu compare to my husband?’
On the second day, a guest from the countryside came. They sat down and had a chat. He asked the guest, ‘Do you find Xu or me more handsome?’ The guest replied, ‘Xu is not as handsome as you.’
The next day, Xu came. He stared at Xu for a long time, and confirmed that he was not as handsome as Xu. He looked into the mirror again, and realized the difference was even more. In the evening, he thought about this in the bed, ‘My wife said I was handsome, because she is close to me. The concubine said I was handsome, because she is afraid of me. The guest said I was handsome, because he had a favor to ask of me.’
Therefore he went to the court for an audience with Duke Wei, and said, ‘I know for sure that I am not as handsome as Xu. But because my wife is close to me, my concubine is afraid of me, and my guest had a favor to ask of me, they all said that I was more handsome than Xu. Now, Qi is one thousand square kilometer, and has 120 cities. Of the palace ladies and advisors, all are close you. Of the officials in the court, all are afraid of you. Within four borders of your territory, all have favors to ask of you. Therefore, we can conclude from here my lord has not been receiving the truth from these people.’
The Duke said, ‘Well said.’ He then issued an order, ‘Those who criticize me in front of me for my fault will receive best awards. Those who send a memorandum to admonish me, you will receive good awards. Those who censor and ridicule me in the market and the court, and convey them to me, will receive normal awards.’
Immediately after the order was issued, many subjects come to remonstrate. The gate of the government office was crowded as market. After several months, occasionally, people still came to submit their criticism. After one year, people had no more suggestions for submission.
Other states, such as Yan, Zhao, Han, and Wei, heard this and all came to pay tribute to Qi. This is called, ‘Winning the battle at your own court.’
.
西周时期,权力旁落到诸侯手中,各国诸侯各自称王。国与国间相并吞、战乱、结盟不断。以下故事选自《战国策》说明好的臣子影响齐王实行仁政。
原邹忌修八尺有余,而形貌昳(yì)丽。朝服衣冠,窥镜,谓其妻曰:‘我孰与城北徐公美?’其妻曰:‘君美甚,徐公何能及君也?’城北徐公,齐国之美丽者也。忌不自信,而复问其妾曰:‘吾孰与徐公美?’妾曰:‘徐公何能及君也?’
旦日,客从外来,与坐谈,问之客曰:‘吾与徐公孰美?’客曰:‘徐公不若君之美也。’
明日,徐公来,孰视之,自以为不如;窥镜而自视,又弗如远甚。暮寝而思之,曰:‘吾妻之美我者,私我也;妾之美我者,畏我也;客之美我者,欲有求于我也。’
于是入朝见威王,曰:‘臣诚知不如徐公美。臣之妻私臣,臣之妾畏臣,臣之客欲有求于臣,皆以美于徐公。今齐地方千里,百二十城,宫妇左右莫不私王,朝廷之臣莫不畏王,四境之内莫不有求于王:由此观之,王之蔽甚矣。’
王曰:‘善。’乃下令:‘群臣吏民能面刺寡人之过者,受上赏;上书谏寡人者,受中赏;能谤讥于市朝,闻寡人之耳者,受下赏。’
令初下,群臣进谏,门庭若市。数月之后,时时而间(jiàn)进。期(jī)年之后,虽欲言,无可进者。
燕、赵、韩、魏闻之,皆朝于齐。此所谓战胜于朝廷。

No comments:

Post a Comment