Saturday, February 13, 2010

Dong Yong’s Wife 董永妻

Filial piety is one of the Chinese traditional virtues. It is said that only when a person respects and loves his parents can he respect the elderly in society, humbly learn from the seniors in the work place, devote himself to the country, and sacrifice his life to defend the country. As such, all kind-hearted and capable emperors in Chinese history promoted filial piety.
Here is a story recorded in Sou Shen Ji (stories of Immortals) about Dong Yong, a son with filial piety and was reward by Heaven. The story later evolved to become a very popular folktale ‘Seven Fairies’.

In the Han dynasty in Qiancheng lived a man by the name of Dong Yong. His mother died when he was a child. While living with his father, they worked hard in fields. Each time they went out, he would put his old father on a small cart and follow it on foot. When his father died, he was so poor that he had no money for his father’s funeral. He was willing to sell himself into slavery for a little money for funeral. Knowing that he was a virtuous man, his master gave him ten thousand coins and allowed him to go home.
Dong was in mourning for three years. When it was over, he decided to return to his master to work as a slave. On his way he met a woman who said to him, ‘I am willing to marry you.’ So they went together to his master.
‘I have given you money, but I do not expect you to be my slave.’ The master said to him.
‘Thanks to your generous help,’ Dong said, ‘I was able to bury my father. Although I am a person with no social status, I know I ought to work for you to repay your kindness.’
Then the master said, ‘What is wife good at?’
‘She can weave,’ Dong answered.
‘If you insist on doing something for me,’ said the master, ‘please ask your wife to weave a hundred rolls of fine silk for me.’
Dong’s wife set to work in master’s house. Ten days later the hundred rolls were ready.
When she came out, she said to Dong, ‘I am a weaver in Heaven. The Emperor of Heaven ordered me to help you pay your debt because he was moved by your filial piety.’ After saying these words she flew into the sky and vanished.
.
.
孝顺是中华美德之一。就是说,一个人如果能尊敬与爱护他的父母,他才会尊敬社会里的长者、在工作场所里虚心向前辈学习、献身国家、与肯为保卫国家而牺牲自己的性命。所以,历史上仁慈与有才能的君主都宣扬孝道。
以下是《搜神记》里记载孝子董永的故事,因其孝而获天协助。这个故事后来演变成为家喻户晓的《七仙女》的故事。

汉董永,千乘人。少偏孤,与父居。肆力田亩,鹿车载自随。父亡,无以葬,乃自卖为奴,以供丧事。主人知其贤,与钱千万,遣之。
永行三年丧毕,欲还主人,供其奴职。道逢一妇人曰:‘愿为子妻。’遂与之俱。
主谓永曰:‘以钱丐君矣。’
永曰:‘蒙君之惠,父丧收藏,永虽小人。必欲服勤致力,以报厚德。’
主曰:‘妇人何能?’
永曰:‘能织。’
主曰:‘必尔者,但令君妇为我织缣百匹。’
于是永妻为主人家织,十日而百匹具焉。
女出门,谓永曰:‘我,天之织女也。缘君至孝,天帝令我助君偿债耳。’语毕,凌空而去,不知所在。

No comments:

Post a Comment